With winter blues in full flow, here are ten of our coolest winter trends to help you bring a bit of much-needed cheer and warmth into your home. Use these tips to pick out homewares and winter decor to impress your friends this winter season.
1. Indulge in luxurious textures that introduce an instant comfort hit to your sofa or bed. Pick cushions and throws in soft velvet, lush sheepskin or cuddly cashmere. Layer away and swap your colour scheme from millennial pink to forest green, deep amethyst or monochrome.
MORE: HOME DECORATING IDEAS ON A BUDGET
2. Light the way with the amber glow of a salt lamp, perfect for illuminating the darker corners of your home. It has been said they help clear out negative vibes too. Other interior trends include coloured glass lamps and warm globes, which cast rainbow halos to chase away the gloom of winter days.
3. Multiply your sparkle by using mirrors, metallic lamps and shiny feature pieces to bounce bright sunlight and lighting beams all around the house. Here's an extra interior design hack - it'll make your space look bigger too.
4. For a bolder move, winter is the perfect time to get the paintbrushes out and create a feature wall in dusky pink, burnt orange or rusty terracotta. Come spring/summer, you can easily return to something cooler, like deep-sea blue or mint. Warm whites work all year round and go with any colour scheme.
MORE: HOW TO PAINT WALLS: A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
5. Deck the halls with ceramics and glassware in warm earthen hues and bright jewel tones and spread the look in your dining room and living room. Place them on side tables, sideboards and coffee tables. Great for a Boho look.
6. Candles are spot-on for perking up shadowy spots and can help cut through the winter sniffles. Choose scented varieties with sweet and spicy aromas like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, rosewood and orange. Alternatively, go old school and find a home decor store selling ornate candlesticks.
7. Nature has your back. Interior designers like to stack vases with vibrant native florals like grevilleas and wattles with loads of lustrous green leaves. Signs of life are a real pick-me-up in our darkest hours.
MORE: THE BEST LOW-MAINTENANCE INDOOR PLANTS
8. Timber. Wood brings warmth, whether you have a real fireplace or not. Use decorative piles in conjunction with cosy rugs and throws. Timber doesn't automatically mean Scandinavian - there are plenty of dark timber options out there that stylists love.
9. Splash some extra cheer in your choice of artworks. You don’t need to invest heavily either. Create your own abstract masterpieces in brilliant, bold colours and wake up the sleepy spots in your hibernating home.
MORE: HOW TO SELECT ART FOR YOUR HOME
10. Embrace the dark. Don’t be afraid to add a little mystery to any interior with sleek black accessories or feature walls that add depth and create a dramatic backdrop for those warming winter colour splashes.
For more styling tips, check out the interior design trends on our blog here.