For Melbourne's dual occupancy planning and building process, click here. 
For New South Wales' dual occupancy planning and building process, click here

So you have your land and you’re ready to build a DualOcc development from scratch, but before you begin, it’s important to understand the planning process in Adelaide.
There’s a lot to take into account with DualOcc, so it pays to do your homework first and to get professional advice before you begin. Not every block can be sub-divided so you’ll need to know what your local council will allow before you get cracking.


What is development approval?

Development approval is the legal go-ahead that we will help you to secure for your DualOcc plans to proceed. Development approval, or rejection, happens after you’ve submitted a development application. There are three types of approval that will need to be secured prior, that make up Development approval:

Development Plan Consent – this required for any application that alters the use of the land, or the number of properties on it. It is assessed by the Local Council, taking into account the Development Plan and Development Regulation guidelines.

Building Rules Consent – this approval is required before any construction begins on a new property.  A qualified building surveyor assesses this, referencing the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards. The structural soundness, health and safety standards and energy efficiency are a few examples of what is assessed with this application.  

Land Division Consent – lodged by your nominated surveyor, this application assesses developments that move boundaries to amalgamate or create new blocks. The Land Division Consent is assessed by the Local Council, who also seek advice and refer the application to civil engineers, and the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure. Both the State Government and the Local Council have a say, and your surveyor will work with them toward the best result for you. 



Development applications often involve getting all three types of consent.

It is well worth speaking to a dual occupancy expert or your local council about the process before you begin.  If you get in touch with us here at Metricon, we’ll be able to talk through what we can help you with, and what you’ll have to tick off yourself.

Getting the right advice and early can save you money and unnecessary headaches in the long run.  


What is a Development Plan?

A Development Plan (DP) is a guideline document which all council planners follow when assessing any applications. Each local council has a unique DP that sets out the development principles for your new development, which can also differ slightly depending on the exact location of your development within the Local Government Area. It outlines which types of development are allowed, taking into account the environmental, social, economic and historical impacts on the surrounding locality.

Depending on the type of sub-division development submitted to Council, and the area you are in, the application may fall into a ‘Non-Complying’ category of development. This means that it is conflicting with Council’s guidelines, and may not be permitted in your area.  Though you can argue special circumstances, it can be tricky!

It's important to talk to a dual occupancy specialist about your build objectives so we can help you determine what’s possible in your local council area, and what you’ll need before embarking on your DualOcc development.

Do I need help completing my DP?


There are a lot of variables to consider when sub-dividing your land, and the cost to do so depends on what is required. Getting professional advice could save you a lot of trouble, and usually means that you can submit an application that is more likely to be approved. We can help guide you!

If you are interested in learning more about planning regulations in SA for a dual occupancy development, call 1300 786 773 , or visit our DualOcc page for more information.